Saturday, January 20, 2007

Children of Men - In Review

I don't think I have ever posted about a movie I've seen or loved. My father said once that I have horrible discernment when it comes to cinema. At that point in my life I stopped recommending movies. I find it to painful to offer up disclaimers for things that I love. And I love movies, all types but I love movies that make me think, that leave questions unanswered, that make me feel uncomfortable with how I think or live.

So this is a first; and there are plenty of reasons to not see this movie, but I did and I'm really glad. The basic plot is this: the world is reaching the "end", women haven't been able to have children for 18 years, and so everyone is living in hopeless chaos. And then out of nowhere a women is found pregnant. And so begins the real story, and I won't ruin it for you.

So while the movie was very apocalyptic it was also very Bethlehem. Here is this beautiful thing happening and the world is dark and evil and left to it's own devices. There is nothing innocent of colorful left. And a child is about to be born into it that could ultimately save the world from themselves.

It reminds me of anna and simeon, two people who really "saw" Jesus. They really knew who he was and they saw the mystery in his existence. As I left the theater I asked myself, "will I recognize him when he comes; will I see him for who he really is?" It's an unsettling question, it makes me uncomfortable and discontent with my life.

It was definitely a movie that will make you think about the nature of depravity, the content of hope and how one unexpected event can change the course of humanity; for the better or worse.

No comments: