Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Halftime show gone awry




I’ll admit, I watched .00001% of the superbowl. I’m redoing parts of my house and I was in the midst of tearing down vinyl wallpaper. I hate wallpaper, but more then I hate wallpaper I hate wallpaper paste. The chemicals you have to use are caustic and they drip everywhere, and Annyoung apparently thinks they are delicious.

So at any rate, I turned my head long enough to catch the halftime show, with a 60 year old man prancing about a gigantic tongue; his arm skin flapping in the wind whilst his boney hips bounced around in skin tight pants. Vulgar doesn’t even begin to describe what occurred.

I really think the Rolling Stones need to be banned. They had they’re day in the sun, they played some good music, I like a handful of songs. But they’ve gone too far. They are no longer what they used to be, they are sad wrinkled version of what they once were. Maybe that’s what depresses me, It just makes me sad seeing them play the same songs they’ve played for a trillion decades. What would it be like to be known forever for something you did 40 years a go when you were so strung out you can’t even really remember how it happened? I’m sorry, but that’s sad.

Maybe I never really liked them that much to begin with, maybe that’s why this seems particularly vulgar.

I’m calling for an end, let’s ban together and buy a greatest hits album and shut the door on this fascination with this old rock star

8 comments:

Randy Bohlender said...

When I see the Stones I get very nervous about U2...I hope they have the sense to pull the plug before they become caricatures of themselves.

I actually have a whole theory about the Rolling Stones, U2 and the danger of hitting your stride when you're young vs. old. I'll bore you with it sometime.

B$ said...

gee, i think i remember someone talking to you about kids who are too old to rock out anymore. this kid probably used the rolling stones in his argument. and while i don't directly compare the stones to dylan, they are both old.

but they're the same great minds kristen...the same great minds.

p.s. just to spite you, i'm listening to the stones as i type this.

Kristen said...

Randy-

I agree U2 could very well be one of those bands, thank goodness they keep churning out halfway decent albums...

I'm interested on your theory, you'll have to share at our next marketing meeting. I'm sure it has IHOP implications.

While we're at it I'll be honest about how I feel about U2.

Kristen said...

Brandon-

I think it is fair to say that no matter how that particular discussion went I can make compelling statements for either side. I have the extraordinary ability of adaptation, so while Bob Dylan is the same great mind, the Rolling Stones have deteriorated to such a point I believe they are as Randy said mere "caricatures of themselves." They have cashed out their talent for a buck, they have sold what made them artists for huge concerts and corporate sponsorship (hello? Ameristar Mortgage company? What's that about?)

B$ said...

i guess you're right. i mean bob dylan hasn't "cashed out his talent." unless of course you count when he appeared in a commercial for Victoria’s Secret and sold the rights of “The Times they are A-Changin’” to the Bank of Montreal.

oh, and you most defiantly can't count "cashing out your talents" as releasing an album (live at the gaslight 1962) exclusively to the highest bidder (starbucks).

man, i'm glad dylan never sold out. otherwise i would only be able to connect to the classic dylan and not the modern dylan.

Kristen said...

Well, I don't want to hash this out forever, but once again I would like to disagree.

Anyway you cut it Bob Dylan is one of the most talent songwriters the last generation.

The points you make are valid, and I see what you saying. Ultimately it may come down to personal preference. I think Bob Dylan's music is timeless, I believe he has a higher taste level then the Rolling stones. I believe if I saw him live in concert today, I wouldn't be disgusted.

Maybe because I could be assured he wouldn't be dancing around a giant tounge, pelvic thrusting with large skin flaps waving in the wind (oh and did I mention a glitter tuxedo jacket).

I can see why people like this sort of thing, it has a definite appeal.

Point well made, Brandon. Touche.

B$ said...

yeah. like i said originally. they're both old sell outs. i'm not defending the stones, never was. i like old stones, not new.

so, am i right? is that what it means when you speak french?

Kristen said...

Nope, you're still not right.

The point stands, I find the Rolling Stones and the way that they currently posturing themselves vulgar (which was the point I was making to begin with), I don't feel that way about Bob Dylan, despite the fact that both of them (along with every other major artist) are selling out in one way or another.

So if the point we were aruguing was that both of these old men are sellouts then yes you win. Funny, looking back, I don't remember starting with that argument.